the wisdom of Socrates

 

Socrates had a high reputation for wisdom in ancient Grece.  Someone one day came to find the great philosopher and said to him:

 "Do you know what I just learned about your friend?  "

 "Hold on," Socrates replied.  Before you tell me all this, I'd like to give you a quick test.  What you have to tell me, did you pass it through the three strainers?  "

 "The three strainers?  What do you mean ?  "

 "Before telling all kinds of things about other people," Socrates continued, "it is good to take the time to filter out what you would like to say.  This is what I call the test of the three strainers.  The first sieve is that of truth.  Have you checked if what you want to tell me is TRUE?  "

 "No, not really, I didn't see it myself, I only heard it said.  "

 " Very well !  So you do not know if it is the truth.  Now let's see, let's try to filter differently, using a second strainer, that of GOODNESS.  What you want to teach me about my friend, is that something GOOD?  "

 " Oh no!  On the contrary!  "

 "So," Socrates continues, "you want to tell me bad things about him and you are not sure they are true.  It’s not very promising!  But you can still pass the test, because there is one strainer left: that of UTILITY.  Is it USEFUL for you to teach me what my friend would have done?  "

 " Useful ?  No, not really, I don't think that's helpful.  "

 "So," Socrates concludes, "if what you have to tell me is not TRUE, nor GOOD, nor USEFUL, why do you want to tell me?  "

1 Comments

Previous Post Next Post

Contact Form